The photo –left- is not exactly a “before” photo as sadly we did not immortalise this view for posterity till after we took down the 1950’s wooden wall (with insets of blue glass?”) that ran across from the old chimney on the right over to the left hand wall. Anway, this is the closest we have to “before” (1) here.
Then the sainted JM took off the roof –right(2)- and put in the steels that had to be cut into the thick stone walls at each side to support the new roof terrace. Then our only plasterboard ceiling was put up.
This led to a slight reduction in ceiling height, but. trust me, it was worth it.
Close to the finish line here now, we have the penultimate stage-Below right-(4)
This is a bright east facing room with a large window, but note that it’s considerably brighter now, even though we have two dark grey painted and waxed walls. By taking the ceiling’s broken white paint down the walls by 1.5 inches and taking that dramatic grey right around the corner & along the side wall we have blurred the visual perception of how disproportionately narrow this area is- Bottom right (5)
Laying the new white/grey finish wooden floor crossways has underlined these changes too & works with the ceiling to reflect all available light.
Sorry about quality of photos, some camera, some phone, the first so old it was actually developed manually!