Putting up coat hooks in hall- until now coats, jackets etc were just slung over the backs of chairs or used to decorate the ironing board. (ironing board,?in our hovel? ha!)
- Replacing broken glass in salon door- put on the back burner for years as we could not decide whether to keep this door or not. Cleaned and waxed with a new handle it is vastly improved. It used to depress me every time I came up the stairs and saw it. Someone’s dog had scratched the mouldings so decided to repair rather than replace. This is our new creed, and it saves money.
- Bought a fridge to augment the 30 euro one in kitchen that goes “kerklunk” regularly. We can’t put a big fridge in here until we replace the floor- Trev’s next big job- but won’t go to waste as will be moved to the alcove under the stairs in the cave for drinks etc – Big impact as August and milk and water and cold drinks and food and ice cream etc and five people using the kerklunk fridge with no door on freezer compartment was getting STRESSFUL.
- Trev finally finished replacing all handles on all windows with the black metal ones. What a difference this small thing makes.
- Finally got a door on the tulip bedroom/shower room access. Coming off again in September as not an unqualified success- more in next post.
- After seven years finally worked out best layout for terrace furniture. Hurray!
- The imminent arrival of family made me clear up the tulip room. It is very easy to lapse into laziness when the work is still ongoing- By the time I carried the fifth bag of rubble down the stairs, it was getting much easier.
- Found the new dechetterie (dump/tip) location- extremely critical
Many of the above jobs were prompted by the chaos visible in the photo above. We can’t keep living this way.
Some friends with a nice neat modern villa with spanking double glazing, new kitchen and bathrooms all finished picked the most chaotic moment of our entire stay to visit us. God knows what they thought.
I also ran late to tidy myself up a bit (having gone a bit “native”) and picked up some other new acquaintances looking like a rough, mad-haired bag lady with no slap on.
I guess if they really like us, we might see them again……………………