All the “di’s ” and a quite a few of the “de’s” also- discouraged, despondent, dejected, depressed, disheartened, dispirited.
We are five months away from a very significant date. i.e. ten years exactly from the inception of our ten-year-plan and when we finally stopped talking about finding and restoring and moving to an old house in a sunny corner of France and actually started the ball rolling. The ball has stopped and is slowly deflating from numerous punctures, maybe one too many this time .
In short, our ten year plan is not so much derailed as rusting in a siding with weeds growing over it . Enough of the metaphors and a few reasons for today’s mood.
* The weather is relentlessly grey in UK and so dark it could be dusk
* We are skint because Trevor lost months of overtime pay whilst he was ill.
* France is sliding into another recession and the powers that be seem to think that the only way to bail themselves out is by increasing taxes, including those on second home owners still resident in UK!
* I have not heard a positive ” we moved to France and it’s fine” story for months, apart from a few celebrities and some lucky folk with resources already in place to keep them solvent in retirement.
* So far this year I have almost lost my partner and my son-in-law to critical illness and , although they would never stand in our way, my daughter and grandson want me here in the UK , not a thousand miles away.
* Although my French is much, much better, I am still floored by fast-speaking natives
* Trevor is probably about to be made redundant, and we cannot run three properties on my income.
* I haven’t see our French hovel for two months and probably won’t get back there till next spring and I miss it like crazy. I have never been so emotionally attached to a building (site)!
* Someone that I thought was a good friend is blanking me and I know not why.
Sorry guys, but this is the wartsandall blog, and this is just how I feel today…………