1) Because the dramatic mix of snow topped mountains, lush greenery, turquoise sea and sunshine never fails to make us smile.
2) The skies are blue, even in winter, and when “La Tremontane” ( north west wind ) whips up the palm trees and the sand into a wild flurry.
4) The longest beach in the Pyrenées Orientales is two minutes stroll away. It feels like a holiday every day.
5) Between September and May when the tourists who swell Argeles-sur-Mer from a population of 10,000 to ten times that number are gone, we have this magical 7km strip of sand to ourselves.
6) There are beach bars, cafes, tea rooms, restaurants and markets. Fresh fish, charcuterie and patisserie,amazing salads and vegetables dishes, dessert wines from Rivesaltes, rich red wines from Maury, characterful aperitif wines from Banyuls.
7) You can cycle everywhere (it’s flat!) along the promenade, or into old Argeles Village with it’s iconic church & tall, narrow village houses and escape the crowds in hidden squares where time is stilled.
9) Because on our doorstep we have music festivals in the grounds of beautiful Chateau Valmy, built in the heart of it’s own vineyard. Or visit art exhibitions & concerts every week from May to September that reflect the melting pot of French, Spanish and Catalonian culture here.